Flash Fiction: Iris

PHOTO PROMPT © Rochelle Wisoff-Fields for Rochelle’s Friday Fictioneers. Other stories featuring the prompt can be found here.

Another instalment featuring the Greek Gods navigating the 21st Century. Previous stories starred Hecate and Pandora.

Iris, the Greek goddess of rainbows, wandered around ancient ruins. Modern times, cruel to the stone and concrete architecture. Tour guides claim the recently discovered city to be a time warp. Bull shit. White consumed her senses. Broken, pillars sprawled on the ground, white. What stood standing, white. Interior, white. But most of all, what troubled her – the white statues of the gods!

She stood in front of a lifeless version of herself. As if it compared. Time to take matters into her own hands.

Iris whipped out a paintbrush and pallet from her satchel. Humming to herself, colour restored.

“Stop! You’re under arrest for vandalising a historical site.”

The colour drained from her face. The twenty-first century sucked.

54 thoughts on “Flash Fiction: Iris

• Tannille says:

I’d love to see them restored in colour. I thought for a long time the Greeks/Romans did everything in classic white. But no, apparently they were gaudy. Bling indeed.

Thanks N

1. wmqcolby says:

Yes, it would have sucked indeed! I like how you’re kind of transporting these figures into reality and doing a pretty decent job of it. Keep up the good work, Tanille.

2. trentpmcd says:

It is funny how that white has dictated our tastes since the aged marble was “rediscovered” some 500 years ago! I’d love to see what Iris would do to it all if given the chance.. yeah the 21st century sucks.

Liked by 1 person

• Tannille says:

It looks “classic” but it isn’t. I like the feel of white being old and the beauty of it. However, I’d be more fascinated to see how the ancients painted everything. I’ve stumbled on computer recreations and wow.

Thanks T

Liked by 1 person

• Tannille says:

I remember watching a documentary and they were talking about the original colouring of statues, blew my mind “what do you mean it wasn’t white?”

Thanks P!

• Tannille says:

I was the same until I started watching documentaries and scientist have found traces of paint and can look at the statues under different lights. Apparently the ancients liked bright colours too, so the statues may have looked cartoonish. Think I might prefer the aged white. 😀

Thanks Shrawley